You need to take extra care when you use electricity outside, in your garden or for DIY projects. Review the following issues and take precautions where required.
- Ensure all sockets supplying electricity to power tools or outdoor appliances meet current safety standards.
- Always follow the manufacturers' guidelines when using electrical appliances.
- Never use electrical appliances in the rain or in wet conditions.
- Use protective clothing, goggles and footwear when using electrical appliances.
- Keep trailing flexes well clear of lawnmower blades, hedge-trimmers and electric saws.
- Unplug all appliances before attempting to make adjustments or clean blades.
- Never leave appliances or tools unattended when they are plugged in. Especially if there are children around.
- Check all flexes, plugs, and sockets for any signs of damage before use. Never try to repair a damaged item yourself.
- When using extension reels, make sure to uncoil them completely to prevent overheating.
- Never use ladders or tall objects near overhead electricity cables.
- Install TV aerials far enough away from overhead cables that they won't touch them even if they fall over.
- Never plant trees beneath overhead cables. You should contact ESB Networks straight away if you see garden trees touching any cables.
- Did this answer your question?
Thank you for your feedback