The likely benefits of a heat pump are:
- lower fuel bills are likely, especially if you are replacing conventional electric heating.
- lower carbon emissions.
- no fuel deliveries needed.
- can heat your home as well as your water.
- minimal maintenance required.
- can be easier to install than a ground source heat pump.
During winter, an ASHP may need to be on constantly to heat your home efficiently. You will also notice that radiators won't feel as hot to the touch as they might do when you are using a gas or oil boiler.
Unlike gas and oil boilers, heat pumps deliver heat at lower temperatures over much longer periods. If you are installing an ASHP to replace a gas or oil boiler, you should upgrade your insulation to get the most out of your ASHP. You might also consider fitting larger radiators or underfloor heating.
If you are thinking about installing a heat pump additional information can be found at SEAI